Saturday, October 4, 2008

Anti-bullying policies?? where??

Some say there are anti-bullying policies in colleges and universities, but add that these are not helping in solving actual problems. My very famous university does not have one. It has a nice counseling service... but that does not take care of the hostile work environment that certainly reduces my productivity.
I have read every document that is remotely related to workplace harassment and/or hostility at my institution. There was nothing-absolutely nothing-to include harassment by a so-called colleague's abusing another professionally. Like they suggested, I discussed the issue with some senior friends and later with my department chair. They all believed me and had sympathy. However, they also sounded like this is routine and normal stuff at universities, and implied I had better develop strategies to deal with them. No consequence to the bully...
I sometimes wish I were sexually harassed. I would know what to do. There are much better protections against that...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds familiar.

My alma mater had something like that for grad students and professors. One clause stood out: professors were to behave towards their students as partners in research. It was a nice idea but it never happened to me as my Ph. D. residency was a period of constant conflict with my supervisor. I eventually finished my thesis and received my degree, but without a great deal of help from him.

The staff association at the place I used to teach at had a code of ethics as well, but that was about as meaningless as the institution's mission statements. It didn't stop anybody from harassing or persecuting a colleague, or a subordinate, for that matter.

I'm glad I'm no longer in that business.

Anonymous said...

My grad school advisor talked about publishing for the first time after I finished my dissertation. And he wanted to know how many papers and which components of my dissertation I was going to publish with him. And he had barely read my dissertation, let alone contribute to it... With this experience, I was prepared for a job in academia, but this kind of research abuse still takes a great toll on my productivity and well-being.

Anonymous said...

I've got a better story. At the place where I started grad studies, I heard of a prof who published a paper based on data that his student obtained--without giving credit to the student. The student found out about it, filed all sorts of complaints and, apparently, the matter went as far as senior university administration. As well, there was talk of litigation.

I'm not sure what happened next, but the prof kept his job and the student got his degree, though according to some other grad students, it wouldn't be worth much because he wouldn't get a reference from the supervisor.

And I thought industry was bad for that....

Anonymous said...

I should have added in my last comment something about supervisors reading one's thesis.

During my Ph. D. defence, I had to wonder who actually *read* the manuscript, based on the questions I was asked. If those people had read it, they would have known the answers. Mind you, my topic was in an obscure area in which there aren't many people working, but that's hardly an excuse, is it?